Potato and pesto sandwiches for a tasty, leisurely breakfast with a steaming cup of masala chai. Life doesn’t get better than this :-) I had these sandwiches this morning and loved them, they’re a sure addition to my pesto recipe ideas.
- Brown bread – 2 slices
- Potato slices – 5 or 6, 1-mm thick
- Salt – to taste
- Green olives (sliced) – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander parsley pesto – 2 teaspoons
- Olive oil – for shallow frying potato slices
For better flavor, prepare the coriander parsley pesto at least a few hours before using it for this recipe.
Peel and slice the potatoes into 1-mm thick slices. For slices of even shape and radius, I use only the centre of the potatoes for these sandwiches. The top and bottom potato halves go into some other potato curry.
In a wide shallow non-stick pan, heat a teaspoon of olive oil. Spread the oil evenly around the pan and place the potato slices in a single layer in the pan. Cook till the side facing down turns golden and then flip the potato slices over. Sprinkle a few more drops of olive oil as required.
Since the slices have been cut thin, cooking the potatoes through will take no more than a couple of minutes.
When the potato slices are golden and crisp, take them off the pan and place them on tissue paper to absorb excess oil. Sprinkle salt and toss.
Toast the bread slices. Place 5-6 potato slices over one bread slice. Spread pesto and a few green olive slices. Top with the second bread slice and press down.
- You could substitute coriander parsley pesto with any other pesto of your choice.
- You could spread the pesto over each toasted bread slice and place the potatoes between them, but I prefer my method of spreading it over the potatoes as it better locks in the pesto oil between the bread slices.