Tempering with cumin seeds – a quick way to embellish your plain boiled rice.
- Rice – 2 cups, boiled and cooled
- Ghee – 2 teaspoons
- Cumin seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Salt – a pinch
- Black pepper corns – a few (optional)
Heat the ghee in a non-stick pan. Add the cumin seeds and pepper corns.
When the cumin seeds begin to turn color, add rice and sprinkle salt over it.
Keep the heat on medium-high. Toss the rice gently till all of it gets coated with ghee and cumin tempering. When the rice turns piping hot, take it off the fire and serve with any curry.
- Use cool rice for this dish. If it’s warm, it’ll turn mushy.
- To keep the rice grains separate and fluffy, toss – don’t stir!